Life of Buddha
To view all the video and audio recordings
Life of Buddha – Heart Lessons
- The birth of Prince Siddhartha
- The education of Prince Siddhartha
- Prince Siddhartha discovers the nature of this world
- Renouncing palace life and practising with teachers
- Buddha’s enlightenment
- How all beings can become buddhas
- The training on the five paths and Buddha’s conviction to teach
- The first turning of the wheel of Dharma—the Four Noble Truths
- Defining ‘awakening’ and the establishment of the Sangha
- The Buddha’s two main disciples—Shariputra & Maudgalyayana
- The story of Anathapindika and the gradual approach of Buddha’s teachings
- The story of Gotami, impermanence and karma
- Stories of transformation: Devadatta & Nanda
- The main goal is to transform ourselves and the story of Angulimala
- Meditation and how the Buddha taught students in various skilful ways
- The second turning of the wheel of Dharma—prajnaparamita
- There is no contradiction in all the teachings of the three turnings
- The nonsectarianism and spirit of the Buddha’s teachings
- How the Dharma continues and heart advice for difficult times
About 2500 years ago a young prince left his palace and went in search of a way to eliminate the pain and suffering of all beings. Six years later he found the ultimate solution and became known as the Buddha, the Awakened One.
In the world today a great number of people take the Buddha as their guide. Buddhism is one of the ancient religions. In Sanskrit, the word ‘buddha’ means someone who has developed his or her wisdom, compassion and other positive qualities to perfection. A buddha is a perfect human being and everybody can actually become a buddha.
In this series of 19 sessions Rinpoche shares with us the life story of the Buddha and his core teachings and insights, so that through these we can understand how to deal with our own life and how to work on the challenges we face.
The teachings were recorded in Sikkim in June/July 2020 and were originally edited and presented by Rigpa. Each session is around 20 minutes long.
The teachings have also been dubbed in French, German, Spanish and Italian. Click on the menu to the side (or below) to access these language versions.